FIVE KINDS OF FEAR
DRAMA FEATURE FILM
Status: Late Development, 60% Financed
Genre: Police Drama
Director and Screenwriter: Bruno Bini
Launch Year: TBA
Looking for: Broadcasters, Financing and New co-producers
Rights Available: All available, Worldwide (all languages)
Languages: Portuguese (Brazil)
Co-production: Plano B Filmes and Druzina Content
Distributor: Downtown Filmes
- Project based on the short film "3 Kinds of Fear", by director Bruno Bini, awarded worldwide.
- In 2017, the project was selected in a governmental funding for its development in Brazil FSA/BRDE/ANCINE and had the consultancy of Zé Carvalho.
- The script was also selected at MTLab, where received the advice of Toni Venturi and Katia Machado.
- In 2018, the project was selected in governmental fundings for its production in Brazil FSA/BRDE/ANCINE, which guaranteed 60% financing of the work.
- The project won another fund for its production (BRDE/FSA COMPLEMENTAÇÃO 2021/2022), a governmental initiative to support the film industry in Brazil.
After almost losing his life in a Covid ICU, Murilo gets involved in a violent dispute when he falls in love with Marlene, his nurse and Sapinho's girlfriend, the drug lord of Jardim Novo Colorado. Sapinho ends up being arrested by Luciana, a policewoman driven by a desire for revenge. Ivan, a lawyer, faces a moral dilemma when he accepts to defend Sapinho at the request of Dona Antonia, a community leader who sees the drug dealer as the only way to provide security to the residents of the neighborhood. Little by little, the lives of all of them collide.
Five Kinds of Fear arises from the need to talk about urban violence and how it affects us all. The story of the film is inspired by recent real events, which took the pages of the newspapers. In 2007, residents of Jardim Novo Colorado, on the outskirts of the city of Cuiabá (Brazil), gathered to raise funds to pay for the release of Sapinho, a drug lord who lived in the neighborhood and had been arrested. According to them, Sapinho guaranteed the safety of the community. Without the presence of the police and with him arrested, the thugs of other neighborhoods took over the streets.
In Five Kinds of Fear we see how violence impacts on everyone's life, regardless of age, gender or social class.